Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Liver Cleansing (Energy) Drink

Lately at work I've been hitting a wall around 2:30-3:00 PM. I'm sure most of you know that feeling. It's a couple hours after lunch, the workday is almost over, but there's still a couple hours to go. I've tried a cup or two of coffee, but it doesn't have quite the effect as it does for me first thing in the morning. I could always pound an energy drink or stock up on one of the many 5 hr energy shots on the market. But as a rule, I like to stay away from things that are colorful and taste like fruit but aren't really fruit. I tried to initiate afternoon nap time, but my boss wasn't too keen on that idea.

Recently, while I was pacing the office trying to get some of the blood back into my brain and complaining to my co-worker about the metaphorical wall that likes to stop me in my tracks every afternoon, she asked if I wanted to try this juice she had made. She apparently had been searching the Internet for a liver cleanse recipe and found this post on buzzle.com. She said that the juice gives her a little boost of natural energy, tastes good, and is very healthy too. I've decided to try it for a the next couple weeks. Below is the recipe and a few alterations I made.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups fresh grapefruit juice
  • ½ cup lime juice I decided to use lemons instead.
  • 1 cup distilled water My friend said she used Coconut Water, but I just used regular filtered water. Next time I will probably try it her way.
  • 2 inch fresh ginger
  • ½ teaspoon acidophilus I only found capsules at the drugstore, so I just opened a couple of them up for the powder.
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons flax seed oil
  • I also decided to add cinnamon for an extra little kick of energy.
1. Cut 2 grapefruits and 4 lemons in half, and squeeze juices into a bowl.
2. Mix in garlic, grated ginger, acidophilus powder, flax seed oil, and cinnamon.
3. Add water and blend all ingredients together.
4. I put the drink mixture into a couple water bottles, and will try drinking it a couple times a day and see how it goes.











I'll be posting updates over the next couple weeks. This is my first experimental attempt on this blog, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment